Child & Spousal Support Orders & Modifications

With a vast knowledge of child custody laws, and child support and spousal support laws, those at the Law Offices of Robert J. Nachshin, P.C.,  deal regularly with all aspects of child custody and child and spousal support modifications. A “modification” of a Court’s orders concerning child and spousal support is not uncommon. Such cases are heard before the Courts regularly. A change in custody or support arrangements involves those modifications germane to existing child custody and visitation orders.  Regardless of the language set forth in a Judgment or Court Order, most issued orders can be modified depending on a change in events or a change of an individual’s circumstances.

In addition to handling all modification orders, the expert team of California lawyers at the Law Offices of Robert J. Nachshin also routinely handles child custody evaluations dealing with Court appointed special masters and other Court professionals who have been designated to assist with modification disputes and issues.

Child Custody & Child Visitation

Before a parent can address the issues of custody and visitation of their minor children, or child and/or spousal support (formerly called “alimony”), there must be an action filed in the Court (such as a dissolution, legal separation or nullity of petition for married persons) and/or an action filed relative to parentage, custody and support of minor child(ren).

If the parents are not married, the mother or the father is free to file an action to establish the parental relationship. He or she may also file a petition for custody and support of minor children. There are four common child custody arrangements agreed to by parents or ruled on by the Courts: sole custody, physical custody; joint custody and co-custody.

Once a formal action has been filed, the Court is in a position to address the issues of child custody, visitation and support should the parties be unable to agree on these matters. There is no legal obligation to pay child support by one party to the other until a Court order has been established. A Court order is obtained by requesting a hearing or by filing an Order stipulating what the parties have agreed to.